Sunday, September 3, 2017

Multiple Intelligences and Direct Instruction

Growing up, I always heard about the idea of "learning styles." I always thought of myself as a visual learner-I always loved seeing everything in front of me and getting a better understanding of the whole picture. However, after reading and studying this multiple intelligences article, I realize that the idea of learning styles is a myth. I've been able to learn in multiple ways: writing, drawing pictures, listening to music, etc. Creating several lesson plans for different students daily is impossible, and no research has been proven saying that teaching to learning styles helps at all. Exposing students to different types of learning can make them more well-rounded and developed for the future.

A teaching style that I favor heavily is Direct Instruction. I loved the gradual release of information from teacher to student, that's probably because I remember it being used a lot when I was a child. For "I Do", students get an idea of what they're learning; "We Do" makes them more comfortable exploring the material without being too overwhelmed or put on the spot; and "You Do" gives them an opportunity to explore the material and express their creativity on their own terms. I'm excited to try this strategy with my own future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment